Friday, September 27, 2013

Twitter Bootstrap - Super fast development for responsive website

In this week, what makes me so exciting is not D3 again, although I still have some skills about D3 which I would like to share, I'll talk about another front-end UI framework in this post, the Twitter Bootstrap. According to the official slogan, Bootstrap is a sleek, intuitive, and powerful mobile first front-end framework for faster and easier web development. Actually, Bootstrap is base on jQuery, and is not something new. But when I accidentally had a chance to study it, I really feel exciting.
The first selling point of Bootstrap is rapid development. It can really boost up the development of front-end design, it remedies the weakness of layout design in jQuery. Just with some well formatted HTML (no javascript), you can get a good looking and interactive web page, with navigation bar and slideshow banner or other basic website element.
The second selling point of Bootstrap is responsive web design, actually is its greatest selling point. It makes you web page fit to all kind of devices. It automatically change the look and view according to you devices's resolution, so you would get well-fit outlook adaptive to you mobile phone, tablet or PC, but would not affect you functionality.
Actually, although Bootstrap is good, it can't satisfy my desire. Because I want a responsive animated navigation bar, so I try to customize one. Through studying how Bootstrap is implemented, I learnt a lot about how to build you own jQuery widget, how to write response web design and also some tricks to play with CSS. Since it isn't quite related to Bootstrap, and I need times to simplify my code I'll do it in the next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment